Eighth post of the series
Disney does drama…right!
There are so many things to do at Disney World. There are rides to be ridden, parades to be cheered for, autograph books to be signed, Premium Mickey Bars to be eaten, and shows to be seen. That’s right. Disney World offers a wide variety of attractions in the form of live shows. Some have people as actors, some have animals showing off tricks, and I even know of one with animatronic bears. You know my feelings on Finding Nemo the Musical (which is my favorite) and there are so many more shows to take in so that you can experience Disney at its finest!
So, here is a quick list with some (if I posted all of my favorites it would take me FOR-EV-ER) of my D.M.D show favorites and some photographs I’ve taken to let you know by park where you can view some great shows. You’ll want to check on the tip boards or with guest services for daily show times and locations. I know you’ll love Disney at it’s acting best! Don’t miss these great moments within the parks.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom:
• Finding Nemo the Musical (see earlier post!)
• The Festival of the Lion King: Become part of the show when you help take part in the Festival of the Lion King (will you be an elephant, warthog, giraffe, or lion?). Kids and adults alike will love this mix of circus style entertainment (acrobatics, trapeze artists, and even a fire juggler). You’ll also love singing along to some of the most beloved songs from the Disney movie The Lion King. There are selected showings daily and this is an indoor theater!
• Flights of Wonder: This is a very entertaining show filled with birds from all over the world. If you are brave, volunteer when asked and you might have the photograph opportunity of a lifetime! There are selected showings daily and this is an outdoor/covered theater.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios:
• Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show: This is a really cool car stunt show. You’ll get to be part of the filming of a high speed, high energy movie taping. During the taping of the show you will have the chance to learn a lot of tips and tricks on how car stunt scenes are filimed in Hollywood. There are selected showings of this one each day. This is an outdoor show with stadium style seating. You’ll want to plan on arriving early to the show to get a good seat.
• The Voyage of the Little Mermaid: This is a really fun show that combines live action and the use of puppets. There are a lot of effects that put you “under the sea”. Lasers, bubbles, and even an indoor rain sequence let you experience Ariel’s world like never before. You’ll see an abbreviated (like 15 minutes abbreviated) version of the movie but, you’ll hear all your Little Mermaid favorites! There are selected showings each day and this is an indoor show.
• Beauty and the Beast-Live on Stage: Wanna see Beauty and the Beast, live on stage? Head over to the outdoor Beauty and the Beast stage near The Hollywood Tower of Terror. You will get to see a vibrant recreation of this Disney favorite. There’s singing, dancing, and even some magic. You’ll really enjoy this show. There are selected showings daily and arena is covered (which is nice when the sun is shining super hot).
• Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular: I really like the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular because it makes me think about the good old days with MGM studios (they weren’t that long ago right!). Arrive about 30 minutes early to this show to get a good seat (and prepare to get up close and personal with you neighbors as you are asked to pack into the arena). This show will put you on the edge of your seat with pyrotechnics, fog, high falls, explosion, and even some punches…if you are brave, you can volunteer to be a part of the show. There are selected showings daily and this is a covered arena (the wait area is mist fan cooled and has pretty descent shade).
• The American Idol Experience: I have had many a good time sitting in the American Idol Experience audience (I’m not the auditioning type thank you very much :) ). If you have ever watched American Idol , you have got to get over to the American Idol Experience stage. Here’s the deal: throughout the daily showings, real park guests (like you) audition for DHS version of AI. Three contestants per showing will get to perform a song of their choosing and will be judged by 3 American Idol ish judges (They have the same personalities of your AI tv favorites (yeah I know they have all left but, think good old original AI days…Simon, Paula, and Randy ). Some of the singers were really good…some, well not so much. Anyway, you get to vote just like the real deal and it will make you feel like you were really there! If you plan on trying out (and you are good), the winners from each showing will compete at the end of the day for the ultimate fastpass…a golden ticket to the front of any true American Idol audition.
• Live Performances throughout World Showcase: Each day, performers from each country in the World Showcase perform a variety of live acts. There are so many different acts to see and there is a vast array of talents on showcase. Here is a brief breakdown by Country:
Mexico: Enjoy the sounds and beautiful costumes of the Mariachi Cobre. They perform both inside and outside of the Mexican Pavilion.
China: Hold your breath and cross your fingers as you watch some of the feats the Dragon Legend Acrobats perform. How do they do it? They perform just outside of the China Pavilion.
America: Spirit of America Fife and Drum Corps put you in a Yankee Doodle mood. Join them in front of the American Pavilion for a patriot show with some very talented musicians!
Italy: I love Sergio the Italian Clown Juggler. With just the call of a whistle, you will understand this hilarious comedy routine. If you have little ones, Sergio loves picking an assistant from the crowd for his amazing catching game!
Morrocco: Belly dancers and musicians…must be Mo’rockin! This band performs just outside of the Moroccan Pavilion.
Japan: You can hear them before you can see them. Join Matsuriza at the Japan Pavilion for their drum routine. It is really cool.
Canada: Off Kilter is a rockin’ , kilt wearin’ band that plays a lot of Canadian originals. They play in the outdoor stage just to the side of the Canadian Pavilion. They rock!
United Kingdom: The Beatles are back in full force at Epcot’s United Kingdom Pavilion...Join the guys of British Invasion as they cover a variety of British Invasion favorites! They will have you singing and dancing!
The Magic Kingdom:
• Dream Along with Mickey: This show happens several times throughout the day right in front of Cinderella Castle. Join Mickey and the gang as they dream along with your favorite princes and princesses (and a villain or two). I love the jazz hands and smiling faces that this show leaves you with. Come early and get a good spot to see all the action!
• Pirate Tutorial with Captain Jack Sparrow: This is a cute show for the kids to take part in. Join Captain Jack in Adventureland for a tutorial on how to be a pirate. “Look, the governors daughter!” (if you have seen this show this will put a smile on your face!)/This is a really funny show plus, the actor playing Captain Jack really stinkin’ looks like him. Legit.
• The Country Bear Jamboree: Well the bear band now will sing in the good ol’ key of G. toot toot. I have been a fan of this show since I was just a cub. This is a Disney classic and you can’t miss out on the Country Bear’s songs like “Blood on the Saddle” or Trixie with “Tears will be the Chaser for your Wine”. This shows at selected times and is an indoor attraction! There’s one sure thing the bear band knows, its real old country rhythm. Toot toot!
Don’t miss out on these and other great shows on your next visit to Disney World! Oh, if I missed one of your favorite D.M.D live shows, you be the blogger and tell us about it in the comment section! I’d love to get some great comments about your favorites so comment below with the details!
oh, and thanks for reading the blog. You make me feel magical!